Corporation is an American insurance company, headquartered in Northfield Township, Illinois, near Northbrook since 1967. Founded in 1931 as part of Sears, Roebuck and Co., it was spun off in 1993. The company also has personal lines insurance operations in Canada.
Data Science incorporates techniques across many disciplines – including mathematics/statistics, computer programming, data engineering and ETL, software development, and high-performance computing – with traditional business expertise with the goal of extracting meaning from data to optimize future business decisions. Individuals in this field should be an expert/fluent in several of these disciplines and sufficiently proficient in others to effectively design, build, and deliver end to end predictive analytics products to optimize future decisions. Individual demonstrates enough analytic agility to quickly develop new skills across these disciplines as those disciplines evolve. The Data Scientist family is accountable for using data to make decisions, which includes building predictive models and developing new machine learning techniques that enable companies to make better decisions to achieve companies goals.
• Develops and implements predictive models using statistics/machine learning techniques for solving different business problems
• Helps the team understand the business outcomes to be achieved and ensures the solution approach is aligned to the same
• Identifies data driven insights and actionable recommendations to influence business decisions by effectively communicating modeling concepts and results across functional groups
• Develops analytic “story” and visual presentation strategies to ensure data is conveyed in meaningful and interpretive formats for all audience levels.
• Reviews results, identifies variances to planned performance, analyzes causes of variance and make actionable recommendations to frontline leaders
• Advances the research in the areas of machine learning/predictive modeling within the department and applies analytical solutions thus built to improve on project delivery
• Experience with descriptive statistics and exploratory data analysis
• Experience with inferential and predictive statistics (hypothesis testing, confidence intervals, regression, time series, decision trees, clustering and classification, text mining)
• Proficiency in open data science tool kits, like R, Python is a must
• Experience using data management and data visualization software (Business Objects, Tableau, SQL)
• Experience with relational databases and data warehouses (Oracle, Teradata, Unix)
• Bachelors or Masters/MBA degree in a quantitative discipline (applied mathematics, statistics, computer science, operations research or related field).
• Experience with leading/mentoring a team in the areas of technology as well as problem solving is a plus
• Experience analyzing third party and syndicated data for benchmarking
• Experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint)
• Strong oral communication, administrative and business writing skills
• Advanced time management skills including ability to handle multiple projects, prioritize and organize
• Experience in solving problems across function like Claims, Pricing, Customer Analytics or Life, P&C LoBs will be preferred
• Proficiency in distributed computing tools like MapReduce/ MPI (Cosmos/ Hadoop/ Spark/ Hive etc) is a plus
1 PM to 9:30 PM